2014 Marriage Equality Discussion Forum
In August of 2014, PFLAG Brisbane held a Marriage Equality discussion forum. The aim of this forum was to have people from all areas of interest speak about the issue of marriage equality.
Invited guests were ministers of religion and members of parliament to hear why marriage equality is so important to same sex couples. PFLAG members believe that these two groups are the main barriers to acceptance and so we wanted them to hear from informed speakers who could answer any concerns.
Which speaker would you like to watch?
Nb. All videos are hosted on our YouTube channel; click the speaker’s name to watch- or scroll down a little to see the embedded videos via the Youtube playlist…
- Rev. Dr Peter Catt – Reverend Peter is the Anglican Dean of Brisbane -he is a man who puts the Christian perspective simply and clearly. Peter is a true Christian man. Fortunately, many more Christians similar to Peter are becoming more supportive of marriage equality.
- Kathy Trotter – The typical voice from the silent majority. Kathy’s supportive opinions are typical of those who have no issue or need for marriage equality, but rarely voice their thoughts as bravely and clearly as she has done at a public event.
- Paul Martin – Paul is a psychologist who has worked in the LGBTI community for the last 25 years. Paul is a man who regularly witnesses the impact that discrimination carries through suicidal ideation and low self esteem, self harming and substance abuse by his clients.
- Rodney Croome, AO – Rodney is an Academic and Director of Australia Marriage Equality. Rodney has spoken at the UN in New York. He was instrumental in having homosexuality decriminalised in Tasmania. Rodney has been an advocate for LGBTI rights for the last 20 years.
- Sharon Dame – Sharon is a social researcher who did a study of over 2000 couples in same sex relationships she initiated with the University of Queensland called “Not so Private Lives”.
- Graham Perrett – Labor MP for Moreton electorate. Graham has Chaired Inquiries into marriage equality in the House of Reps in Canberra. Graham has two gay brothers and is working to achieve equality for his brothers.
- Tim Wilson – Tim is the Human Rights Commissioner, he was appointed in February 2014. Tim is a proud and passionate defender of human rights. Tim is also in a same sex relationship.
- Janet Berry – A PFLAG Mum who fully supports her gay son and his right to marry. Janet upholds her Christian values of unconditional love for all of her children.
- Christine Forster – Christine is a Sydney City Councillor and in a same sex relationship with her partner Virginia. They are engaged and just waiting for Mr Abbott to allow a conscience vote on the issue of marriage equality.
Mum’s The Word
Australian Story, a television program on ABC, recently profiled Shelley Argent (National Spokesperson, PFLAG Australia) with husband Don & their son James in a feature titled “Mum’s the word”. You can view the video below or read the transcript here.
Video (approx. 25 mins & 350MB):